Chickens are literally coming out of the farms….and into cities and suburbs across the country.
Hardly a day goes by now where there isn’t news in the papers or on TV of somebody fighting a local government to change the laws to allow chicken raising.
Until recently, chickens in most parts of America were found in one condition in 2 places — Dead and in the grocery store or in restaurants. The idea of raising chickens and getting and generating their own eggs didn’t even cross most peoples’ minds.
But raising chickens, even just a few, is catching on. It is part of larger trends like “Urban Farming” and “Self-Sufficiency.”
Here are some of the reasons people say they have begun raising chickens:
1. Pleasure and amusement. Watching their quirky behavior and silly antics gives people the best entertainment.
2. Family fun. It’s a great family-oriented activity that gets everyone outside working, cleaning and having fun together.
3. Important life lessons for children. Showing them where food actually comes from is a good example.
4. Stress-relief. Just spending time with your chickens and tending to them takes you to a calmer, quieter, relaxing place.
5. Egg-producing machines. Omelets, Over Easy, Sunny Side Up, Hard Boiled, Soft Boiled, Medium Boiled, Scrambled, Poached…Need I go on?
6. Organic. You don’t have to worry about hormones or any other unnatural substances in your eggs.
7. Watching the chickens grow. They have personality, you know?!
8. Living garbage disposals. They eat your scrap food.
9. Rodent Repellers. They kill and eat little rodents, like mice (or anything not big enough to eat them!)
10. Garden Fertilizer Creators. Besides eggs, their poop can be composted into fertilizer.
11. Fluffy. Most people don’t realize how fluffy chickens actually are until they get to hold them!
12. Good companions. They’ll sit on your lap and keep you company.
13. Sense of accomplishment. There’s a great sense of accomplishment, from building a coop to nurturing eggs to chickens to getting eggs to caring and tending them to composting fertilizer.
14. Great photo sources. Many chicken owners have more pictures of their chickens then of their kids!
15. (Whacky) and popular. Whacky first — People are going to think you are a little whacky and eccentric for having chickens (this apply mostly to those in the urban areas). But deep down inside, they know you’re really cool. And they are JEALOUS!!! Everyone’s going to want to see your chickens and their coop. (Incidentally, parents will bring their children and say that they are there because their kids are interested — as if they aren’t. But the truth is, they don’t care about what their kids think — the parents are the one’s who want to see it!! Don’t let them fool you!)
16. Profitable. Okay, kind of, well, maybe. But you can sell any extra eggs to neighbors and friends.
17. Gifts. You can also give eggs away as gifts. People love ‘em!
Got anything to add to this list? Post your comment below!